The Ministry of Health of Brazil and the Pan American Health Organization through its Latin American and Caribbean Center on Health Sciences Information (BIREME) and the Knowledge Management Unit (KM), both from the Department of Evidence and Intelligence for Action in Health (EIH) invite you to participate in the launching, via the Zoom platform, of the Portuguese version of the Basic Course on Scholarly Communication in Health Sciences.
Date: April 27, 2021
Time: 10:00-11:30am (GMT -3)
Zoom link (There will be Portuguese/Spanish interpretation)
The publication of research results is an integral part of the evolution of science. Researchers communicate their results to the scientific community and society, and the publication of scientific evidence contributes to global knowledge, the well-being of populations and the growth of nations. Especially during the COVID-19 global pandemic, scientists from around the world exchange information and knowledge about the SARS-CoV-2 virus to develop therapies and vaccines. In these reports and in academic literature in general, the scientific language aims at preserving the accuracy and veracity of the observations and communicate the results with precision. Effective scientific communication also allows studies to be reproduced and verified by other scientists, thus attesting to their integrity.
The course is aimed at health professionals and technicians, researchers, scientific editors, undergraduate and graduate students in health careers and other interested parties.
The course – completely available online at the PAHO/WHO Virtual Campus for Public Health focuses on scholarly communication and its many aspects, such as:
- The scientific language
- The normative systems of scientific writing
- The structure and form of scientific articles
- Authorship criteria
- Ethics and good practices in scientific publishing
- How to choose a journal and the language of publication
- Other aspects of scientific publishing
Official launching of the Basic course on Scholarly Communication in Health Sciences
Moderator: Dr. Diego González Machín. Director of BIREME/PAHO/WHO
- Launching of the course:
Deputy Secretary of Administrative Affairs of the Ministry of Health of Brazil. Mr. Cezar Wilker Tavares Schwab Rodrigues.
PAHO/WHO Representative in Brazil. Dr. Socorro Gross
- Scientific Communication: a PAHO/WHO priority. Mrs. Eliane Santos. Regional Advisor for Knowledge Management and Networks of PAHO/WHO.
- The scientific debate in the media and in society. Dr. Lilian Calò, Coordinator of Scholarly Communication of BIREME/OPAS/OMS
- Course structure, scientific writing, and scientific papers. Dr. Damián Vázquez, Executive-Editor of the Pan American Journal of Public Health
- Concluding Remarks: Dr. Sebastián Garcia Saisó, Director of EIH/PAHO/WHO
Access to the Portuguese course at the PAHO/WHO VCPH.
Obs. A Spanish version of the same course is available at the VCPH since November 2019.