The World Health Assembly is the decision-making body of WHO. It is attended by delegations from all WHO Member States and focuses on a specific health agenda prepared by the Executive Board. The main functions of the World Health Assembly are to determine the policies of the Organization, appoint the Director-General, supervise financial policies, and review and approve the proposed program budget. The Health Assembly is held annually in Geneva, Switzerland.
70th World Health Assembly | 70 WHA News
- The 70th World Health Assembly closes 2017-05-31
The 70th World Health Assembly closed today, with the adoption of a series of resolutions on major public health issues and the election of a new Director-General of the World Health Organization (WHO), Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.
- Country delegates approve resolutions at 70th World Health Assembly 2017-05-31
Delegates participating in the 70th World Health Assembly today agreed on measures to improve control of disease-carrying vectors to prevent epidemics, as well as policy options and interventions related to prevention and control of noncommunicable diseases through measures on tobacco, sugar-sweetened beverages, salt reduction, and hypertension reduction. Delegates also agreed on chemicals management and WHO reporting on the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Delegates at the World Health Assembly have reached new agreements on dementia; immunization; refugee and migrant health; substandard and falsified medical products, and the world drug problem 2017-05-29
Dementia, immunization, the health of refugees and migrants, substandard and falsified drugs, and public health dimensions of the global drug problem were some of the topics delegates agreed upon the 70th World Health Assembly.
- World Health Assembly adopts decisions on the International Health Regulations and on sepsis 2017-05-26
- Cuba's Henry Reeve International Medical Brigade receives prestigious award 2017-05-26
- Emergency Medical Team from Costa Rica first in the Americas to receive EMT classification from WHO 2017-05-26
- Delegates at the 70th World Health Assembly adopt their initial decisions 2017-05-25
- Directores Generales de la OMS expresan compromiso con alcanzar la cobertura universal en salud 2017-05-25
- Uruguay será sede de conferencia mundial de la OMS sobre enfermedades no transmisibles 2017-05-25
- Ecuador announces ambitious commitments to UN Decade of Action on Nutrition 2017-05-25
- Representantes de las Américas analizan desafíos y oportunidades para el desarrollo sostenible en salud 2017-05-24
- Ministros de la Salud de las Américas destacan su compromiso con el cumplimiento de los Objetivos de Desarrollo Sostenible 2017-05-24
- World Health Assembly elects Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus as new Director-General of WHO 2017-05-23
- Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus new WHO Director-General 2017-05-23
- Member States of the Americas consult on new hemispheric health agenda 2017-05-23
- 70th World Health Assembly sessions begin 2017-05-22
- Brazil first country to make specific commitments in UN Decade of Action on Nutrition 2017-05-22
- PAHO Director and countries of the Americas review the agenda of the 70th World Health Assembly 2017-05-22
- The region of the Americas highlights challenges and opportunities for new Director General of WHO 2017-05-22
- Antigua and Barbuda chairs Committee B at World Health Assembly on budget issues 2017-05-22
- Suriname elected Vice-President of the 70th World Health Assembly 2017-05-22
- Health authorities from the Americas to participate In the 70th World Health Assembly 2017-05-19
70th World Health Assembly | 70 WHA Events
- Health and environment in the age of sustainable development 2017-05-26
Health and the environment in the age of sustainable development was the topic of one of the technical sessions held by WHO as part of the World Health Assembly. The session examinedthe steps needed to secure greater political commitment to action in this area.
- The challenge is to maintain the elimination of measles and rubella in the Americas and extend the achievement to other regions 2017-05-25
The greatest challenge facing the Region of the Americas, now that measles and rubella have been eliminated, is to maintain this achievement and support other regions to accelerate the elimination of the two diseases and ultimately to achieve worldwide eradication, said Carissa F. Etienne, Director of the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) during a technical briefing at the 70th World Health Assembly.
- PAHO Director meets with CARICOM Health Ministers 2017-05-25
The Director of the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO), Carissa F. Etienne, met this afternoon with the Ministers of Health of the CARICOM, with the aim of studying a variety of subjects related to the organization and to its constituent countries.
- Youth advocates have a voice in national health reforms 2017-05-24
- Improving Public Health Security for Vulnerable Populations 2017-05-23
- PAHO's WHA display generates interest - and surprise 2017-05-22
- Launch of Landmark Report on Health and Human Rights of Women, Children and Adolescents 2017-05-22
- Gearing up towards sustainable development by 2030 2017-05-22
- Preocupan ataques a los centros de salud y a los trabajadores de salud en zonas de conflicto 2017-05-22
- El Reglamento Sanitario Internacional y su impacto en la Agenda de Seguridad Sanitaria Mundial 2017-05-22
- Países de las Américas co-organizan eventos paralelos durante a la 70ª Asamblea Mundial de la Salud 2017-05-22
- Ministers of Health of the Commonwealth countries discuss sustainable funding for universal access to health 2017-05-21