On 8 June 2018, connect to the event "A Conversation about Tobacco and Cardiovascular Disease", organized by PAHO as part of the activities to mark World No Tobacco Day. The event will be moderated by Adriana Blanco, Unit Chief of the Risk Factors and Nutrition Unit iin PAHO, and features the participation of Dr. Eduardo Bianco, Coordinator for the Americas of the Framework Convention Alliance (FCA), Dr. Marc Jaffe, Senior Vice President of RESOLVE to Save 100 Million Lives and Dr. Pedro Ordunez, Regional Advisor on Cardiovascular Diseases, PAHO
- DATE: Friday, 8 June 2018
- TIME: 11.00 am EDT (check here the time in your zone)
- WEBEX LINKS:
- REGISTER AT:http://eepurl.com/dvhm-b
World No Tobacco Day 2018 focus on the impact tobacco has on the cardiovascular health of people worldwide.
Tobacco use is an important risk factor for the development of coronary heart disease, stroke and peripheral vascular disease. Despite the devastating harms of tobacco to heart health, and the availability of solutions to reduce tobacco-related death and disease, knowledge among large sections of the public that tobacco is one of the leading causes of CVD is low.
The campaign aims to increase awareness on the:
- link between tobacco and heart and other cardiovascular diseases (CVD), including stroke, which combined are the world's leading causes of death;
- feasible actions and measures that key audiences, including governments and the public, can take to reduce the risks to heart health posed by tobacco.
11:00 - 11:10 - Opening remarks. Dr. Carissa Etienne (PAHO/WHO)
11:10 - 11:20 - Progress in the implementation of the "best buys" for Tobacco Control in the Americas. Mgtr. Rosa Sandoval.
11: 20 - 11: 30- Resolve To Save Lives. Dr. Marc Jaff (Resolve to Save 100 Million Lives)
11:30 - 11:40- Tobacco and cardiovascular disease. Dr. Eduardo Bianco (Framework Convention Alliance (FCA)
11:40 - 11:50 HEARTS in the Americas. A global initiative to improve the quality of care of persons with cardiovascular diseases. Dr Pedro Ordunez (PAHO/WHO)
11: 50 - 12:10 - Open floor for questions and comments
12:10 - 12:40 - Announcement of Awards for World No Tobacco Day 2018 in the Americas
12:40 -12:45 - Closing Remarks. Dr. Francisco Becerra (PAHO/WHO)
- 8:00 - Los Angeles
- 10:00 - Mexico City, San Salvador, Tegucigalpa
- 10:00 - Bogotá, Lima, Quito, Kingston
- 11:00 - Bridgetown, La Paz, Sto. Domingo
- 12:00 - Brasilia, Buenos Aires, Stgo de Chile
For other cities, you can calculate the time in the following link.
10 am EDT we broadcast via PAHO-WHO Facebook page a dialogue with PAHO advisors about how tobacco use harms your heart.
Did you missed it?
Watch the recording at:
"Tobacco breaks hearts" (in Spanish)
World No Tobacco Day
Click the image to check the materials and other activities organized to mark World No Tobacco Day