The World Health Organization (WHO) released SAFER, a new initiative and technical package that can help governments reduce the harmful use of alcohol and related health, social and economic consequences.
SAFER provides five high-impact strategic actions that are prioritized for implementation to promote health and development:
- Strengthen restrictions on alcohol availability.
- Advance and enforce drink-driving counter measures.
- Facilitate access to screening and brief interventions and treatment.
- Enforce bans or comprehensive restrictions on alcohol advertising, sponsorship and promotion.
- Raise prices on alcohol through excise taxes and pricing policies.
For more information: https://www.who.int/substance_abuse/safer/launch/en/