“There can be no doubt that we, as a region, are making significant and tangible progress on the road towards achieving universal health coverage and universal access to health. However, we must also truthfully acknowledge that our collective actions need to be more transformational, as we are not progressing either at the speed nor scale required.” Dr. Carissa F. Etienne, PAHO Director.
The theme of Universal Health Day this year is Universal health: for everyone, everywhere.
Focus on the Compact 30.30.30: PHC for Universal Health:
The Compact 30•30•30 PHC for Universal Health is a call to action to intensify and accelerate the efforts of the Region of the Americas to achieve universal health and the SDGs by 2030.
- The commitment to transform health systems of the Region by 2030
- A concerted effort to eliminate access barriers by at least 30%
- Increasing public spending on health to at least 6% of GDP, with 30% of these resources invested in the first level of care.
- These efforts will catalyze the transformation necessary to achieve universal health and the SDGs by 2030.
- This requires the commitment to transform health systems of the Region, a concerted effort to eliminate access barriers by at least 30%, and increasing public spending on health to at least 6% of gross domestic product, with 30% of these resources invested in the first level of care.
Universal Health Day (also known as Universal Health Coverage Day –UHC Day) on 12 December is the annual rallying point for the growing movement for universal health – to ensure that everyone, everywhere, has access to quality health services without financial hardship.
This year in April, Dr Carissa F. Etienne, PAHO Director, launched the Regional Compact 30.30.30: PHC for Universal Health, alongside the President of Mexico, Andrés Manuel Lopez-Obrador, in Mexico City. Also, in September the United Nations General Assembly staged the High-level Meeting on “Universal Health Coverage: Moving Together to Build a Healthier World”. This meeting mobilized political support at the highest-level to ensure that all people receive the health care and protection they need.
PAHO/WHO is supporting the campaign as part of its ongoing efforts to advance universal access to health and universal health coverage in collaboration with its member countries in the Americas.
- Universal Health means that all people have access, without any discrimination, to comprehensive, quality health services, when and where they need them, without exposing them to financial difficulties, and interventions that allow a healthy life for their human development and well-being.
- Universal health is not just about ensuring everyone is covered, but that everyone has access to care when they need it, wherever they are.
- Health is a human right, no matter your: gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, age, ability, citizenship.
- Primary health care is the most efficient and cost effective way to achieve universal health.
Title: Universal Health Day 2019, with the theme “Universal health: everyone, everywhere”
Universal Health: make PHC the linchpin of health systems for Universal Health.
When: Join us, Thursday, December 12 2019, from 10:00 to 11: 30 p.m. (EST, Washington DC Time)
How: This event will livestream in English at : www.vimeo.com/pahotv
The objective of this meeting is to reflect on the challenges of Compact 30.30.30: PHC for Universal Health.