PAHO is supporting The Bahamas in the aftermath of hurricane Dorian. PAHO deployed water and sanitation experts and health services experts before Hurricane Dorian struck and has experts in logistics, disease surveillance, coordination, information (data) management, and civil-military cooperation in place in the Bahamas office. PAHO is conducting assessment of needs, and looking at structural damage in health facilities. PAHO is using its extensive experience in emergency preparedness to improve disaster relief operations, setting up the structures to deploy emergency teams to support public health measures. The Bahamas is the first Caribbean country to apply the WHO CICOM international standards to coordinate clinical care in disasters.
Hurricane Dorian | News Dorian
- All hands (and paws) on deck following Hurricane Dorian in the Bahamas 2019-09-17
The Pan American Health Organization (PAHO), alongside the Ministry of Health in the Bahamas, is coordinating disaster-relief efforts by partners and agencies from all over the world to help the people of the Bahamas access the care they need.
- PAHO Director, in Bahamas, offers support to health authorities 2019-09-13
Dr. Carissa Etienne, director of the Pan American Health Organization, met with health authorities here today and offered PAHO’s full support in the relief and response operations related to Hurricane Dorian.
- Faces from the frontlines - Hurricane Dorian 2019-09-12
“My sister is a diamond in the rough. I cherish her to the moon and back,” said 32-year old, security officer and mother of two, Laurel Dean, as she recounts how the quick reactions of her sister prevented her 10-year old daughter from flying away in the hurricane. “I’ve watched movies and stuff, but to see it knock on my door – I never would’ve expected it.”
- PAHO hurricane relief partners, the Dutch military, evacuate pregnant woman from Abaco 2019-09-12
- PAHO Sets up Bahamas Health Relief Fund 2019-09-11
- How to cope with the psychological impact of disasters 2019-09-11
- PAHO issues .5 million donor appeal for humanitarian health response in the Bahamas 2019-09-08
- PAHO Supports Bahamas Response with Emergency Medical Teams 2019-09-06
- Bahamas Health Officials Respond to Hurricane Dorian with PAHO’s support 2019-09-03
Stronger Together Campaign
Link to resources to cope with the impacts of natural hazard events
Bahamas Health Relief Fund