Every year Jamaica joins the rest of the world in celebrating World Blood Donor Day. June 14th, 2013 is an extra special date for the country as it will host the event for the Americas.
"This year, schools across the Jamaica starting at the primary level, are invited to join the celebration at the Emancipation Park in Kingston to encourage a spirit of altruism towards blood donation, particularly in the young population. The special guest speaker at this year's Opening Ceremony will be the newly inaugurated PAHO/WHO Director Dr. Carissa F. Etienne."
Special Honorees on the day will include:
1) Champion Voluntary Blood Donors
2) The Country's oldest Blood Donor Organizer (who is now 90 years old), started with the blood service when it began 65 years ago and she still is assisting the blood service today.
The youth will be kept entertained by a number of cultural items intermingled with educational Teasers, the presence of a popular radio personality will anchor the day's activities with a live radio broadcast and a Mobile Blood Drive event that will be conducted on site throughout the day.
Links with information of the events taking place in Jamaica:
- March to celebrate World Blood Donor Day in Jamaica
- pdf Joint Press Release. Every Blood Donation is a Gift of Life. 11 June 2013 Kingston, Jamaica
- pdf Official Launch Ceremony of World Blood Donor Day 2013 for the Americas