Washington, D.C., 8 November 2013. Experts participating in a special panel discussion organized by the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) for World Radiology Day, Nov. 8, said main challenges facing radiology services in the Americas included not only inadequate numbers of devices but also insufficient numbers of skilled human resources in this area, lack of training and certification, and inadequate career opportunities and resulting "brain drain." Panelists called for stronger national policies and necessary investments to address these issues.
Participants in the World Radiology Day panel discussion included Adriana Velazquez, coordinator of the World Health Organization's (WHO) Diagnostic Imaging and Medical Device Unit; Daniel Mollura, CEO, RAD-AID International; Gloria Soto, president of the Inter-American College of Radiology (ICR); Ria Eyer, vice-president of the Americas for the International Society of Radiographers and Radiological Technologists (ISRRT); Donald Miller, chief medical officer for radiological health of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA); Simone Kodlulovich, president of the Latin American Association of Medical Physicists (ALFIM); Bradley Short, of the American College of Radiology; John Vanden Brink, Rotary Club of Park Ridge, Illinois; Leigh Giles-Brouwn, of Howard Community College, Maryland; and James Fitzgerald, interim director of PAHO's Health Systems and Services Department.
- Global perspectives for Radiology. [2013. Adriana Velázquez - pdf PDF (4.31 MB) ]
- Radiology past, present and future; Radiology revolutionizing medicine. Benefits of Radiology in global Health. [2013. Daniel Mollura pdf PDF (4.43 MB) ]
- Current status of Radiology in Latin America and the Caribbean. [2013 Gloria Soto Giordani - pdf PDF (2.21 MB)
- The Role of regulators in protecting and promoting Public Health Radiology. [2013 Donald Miller - pdf PDF (158.96 kB) ]
- Quality and safety in Radiology: State of medical physicist in Latin America. [2013, Simone Kodlulovich Renha - pdf PDF (7.96 MB) ]
- Radiology: Facing some major Public Health challenges in Latin American: cancer, CVDS, TB, Maternal and infant mortality. [2013 Pablo Jiménez - pdf PDF (6.3 MB) ]
- Training radiologists in the Caribbean. [2013 Bradley W.Short - pdf PDF (1.26 MB) ]
- Increasing access to Radiology: a case study to install 29 digital X-ray systems in Guatemala. [2013 Joun Vanden Brink - pdf PDF (2.44 MB) ]