Health in All Policies
This page has been archived and is no longer updated. We apologize for the inconvenience. To find similar material or an updated version of the page, please visit one the following resources:
Health Topics || Country Sites || News Releases || Our New Homepage
Esta página ha sido archivada y ya no es actualizada. Pedimos disculpas por la molestia. Para encontrar material similar o una versión actualizada de la página, visite uno de los siguientes recursos:
Temas de salud || Sitios de países || Comunicados de prensa || Nuestra nueva página de inicio
Health in All Policies (HiAP) is an approach to public policy that systematically takes into account the health implications of decisions, seeks synergies, and avoids harmful health impacts in order to improve population health and health equity. Many of the social, environmental, and economic determinants of health have origins that extend beyond the health sector and health policies. Therefore, it is important that the impact on health be considered across sectors and at all levels of governance.
The HiAP approach focuses on legitimacy, accountability, transparency, access to information, participation, sustainability, and multi-sectoral collaboration. Support for HiAP is provided by intergovernmental organizations and structures, with the health sector serving a central role in promoting HiAP.
A panel of experts from around the world will discuss the instruments and mechanisms that the countries of the Americas can use to ensure that all public policies——not just health sector policies—— consider the potential impact on people's well-being. The meeting will be held at the headquarters of the Pan American Health Organization/World Health Organization (PAHO/WHO) in Washington, D.C. on March 31-April 1.
Do you have questions related to the implementation of Health in All Policies?
Join PAHO/WHO Tweeter Chat event with Dr. Paulo Buss, Prof. Michael Marmot, Dr. David McQueen, and Dr. Jeanette Vega, on Wednesday April 1, from 10:00 to 11:00 AM (EST). Use hashtag #HiAP
Web-base consultation open through March 3rd, 2015.
Resolution WHA67.12 requested the Director-General to "prepare, for the consideration of the Sixty-eighth World Health Assembly, in consultation with Member States, United Nations organizations and other relevant stakeholders as appropriate, and within existing resources, a Framework for Country Action, for adaptation to different contexts, taking into account the Helsinki Statement on Health in All Policies, aimed at supporting national efforts to improve health, ensure health protection, health equity and health systems functioning, including through action across sectors on determinants of health and risk factors of noncommunicable diseases, based on best available knowledge and evidence".
This manual is a training resource to increase understanding of the importance of Health in All Policies among health and other professionals.
The International Union for Health Promotion and Education (IUHPE) and Thai Health Promotion Foundation (ThaiHealth) are pleased to invite you to the 21st IUHPE World Conference on Health Promotion, 25 — 29 August, Pattaya, Thailand. The conference aims to contribute to the development of equity and social justice across the globe by offering a unique platform for dialogue on the best investments for health between participants from various sectors from all over the world.
- International Health Promotion Congress
- First Regional Congress of School Health Promotion
- IX Regional Health Promotion and Health Education Workshop in Schools and University Settings
- V Meeting of the Latin American Health Promoting Schools Network
April 7-10, 2014
Hundreds of health promotion practitioners and students across the Americas and other parts of the world are expected to attend this Regional event. The Congressional Palace in Havana will be the venue for discussing global health promotion priorities in connection with the Health in All Policies framework, and the Determinants of Health A wide-rage of themes and presentation formats will give participants the opportunity to expand their networks, and share the latest work taking place in schools, universities, municipalities, and other health promotion settings. In addition, several courses and workshops will be offered on Monday, April 7, in the afternoon, prior to the official opening ceremony of the event.
PAHO welcomes inputs from community-based organizations across the Americas to the proposed draft Plan of Action on Health in all Policies
The goal of this Plan of Action is to provide Member States in the Americas with technical guidance in promoting HiAP, in accordance with the pdf Health in All Policies Global Framework for Country Action , to improve health and well-being and reduce health inequities.
PAHO/WHO Scientific and Technical Material
Technical and Scientific Publications
- Pan American Health Organization. Advancing the Health in All Policies Approach in the Americas: What Is the Health Sector's Role? A Brief Guide and Recommendations for Promoting Intersectoral Collaboration
- Pan American Health Organization. Validation of Indicators for Implementation of the Plan of Action on Health in All Policies: Proposal for Application at National Level
- Pan American Health Organization. Health in All Policies: From the Global to the Local
- Pan American Health Organization. Intersectoral Action and Health Equity in Latin America: An Analytical Approach
- Pan American Health Organization. Health Impact Assessment: Concepts and Guidelines for the Americas; 2013
- Pan American Health Organization. Recommendations for Promoting Intersectoral Action
- Pan American health Organization. Summary of Experiences from the Americas
- Pan American Health Organization. Health in All Policies: Case Studies from the Region of the Americas
PAHO/WHO Mandates and Strategies
- Concept Note - Implementing the Pan American Health Organization's (PAHO) Plan of Action on Health in All Policies
Conference Outcome Documents
- World Health Organization. Health in All Policies Training Manual
- World Health Organization. Health in All Policies Framework for Country Action