The World Health Assembly is the decision-making body of WHO. It is attended by delegations from all WHO Member States and focuses on a specific health agenda prepared by the Executive Board. The main functions of the World Health Assembly are to determine the policies of the Organization, appoint the Director-General, supervise financial policies, and review and approve the proposed programme budget. The Health Assembly is held annually in Geneva, Switzerland.
72nd session of the World Health Assembly
20-28 May 2019, Geneva
Home 72WHA | 72WHA News
- 72nd World Health Assembly Closes with Adoption of Resolutions on Public Health Topics 2019-05-28
The 72nd World Health Assembly ended today with the adoption of several resolutions on the world’s most relevant public health issues.
- Countries of the Americas Share Experiences on the Road to Achieving Universal Health 2019-05-28
Health authorities from the Region of the Americas continued to share their views on how to achieve universal health coverage and access, as well as the challenges they face in ensuring that no one is left behind.
- Delegations adopted resolutions on patient safety, emergency and trauma care, water and sanitation, and on the ICD-11 2019-05-27
The delegations at the World Health Assembly approved a series of resolutions about patient safety, emergency and care, and water and sanitation. They also agreed on the adoption of the of the International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD-11), that will come into effect on 1 January 2022.
- WHO Sasakawa Prize Recognizes Peru’s Experience in Reducing Child Anemia 2019-05-25
- World Health Assembly approves resolutions on climate change and health, noncommunicable diseases, and influenza preparedness 2019-05-24
- Health authorities from the Americas discuss how to achieve universal health leaving no one behind 2019-05-24
- World Health Assembly Adopts Resolution on Antimicrobial Resistance 2019-05-23
- Health Ministers of the Americas Discuss Strategies to Achieve Universal Health 2019-05-23
- Delegates Adopt Resolutions on Universal Health Coverage at World Health Assembly 2019-05-22
- Argentina certified malaria-free by WHO 2019-05-22
- Roadmap to Universal Health Discussed on Day Two of the World Health Assembly 2019-05-21
- 72nd World Health Assembly Opens in Geneva 2019-05-20
- Jamaican doctor, Peter Figueroa, recognized as health leader at World Health Assembly 2019-05-20
- Delegations of the Americas to Promote Vision of Universal Health at World Health Assembly 2019-05-20
- WHO announces four new goodwill ambassadors for promoting global health 2019-05-20
- Mexico Assumes Vice-Presidency of 72nd World Health Assembly 2019-05-20
- Ministers of Health of the Americas to participate in the 72nd World Health Assembly 2019-05-17
Home 72WHA | 72WHA Events
- Delegations from CARICOM Countries Address Priority Health Issues with PAHO Director 2019-05-24
Health ministers and authorities from the countries that make up the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) met with the Director of the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO), Carissa F. Etienne, to address health issues of particular interest to their region.
- Ministers of Health of the Pacific and the Caribbean to join forces on climate change and health, regulatory frameworks, health security and NCDs 2019-05-23
Ministers of Health of the Pacific and the Caribbean met to discuss opportunities for cooperation and exchange regarding good practices in climate change and resilient health systems, regulatory frameworks, health security and non-communicable diseases (NCDs). The meeting took place in parallel to the 72 World Health Assembly in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Countries share ideas on how to boost confidence in vaccines, emphasizing the global need to address this issue 2019-05-22
Delegations from the countries attending the 72nd World Health Assembly shared experiences and ideas on how to build confidence in vaccines and step up global immunization efforts to preserve the health of all generations. This side event was organized by the United States, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, and other countries.
- Migration: Challenges, Commitment to Health, and Solidarity 2019-05-22
- Analyzing Experiences and Progress Towards Universal Health 2019-05-21
- A Decade of Healthy Aging: 2020-2030 2019-05-21
- Examining the New Global Action Plan for Healthy Lives and Well-being for All 2019-05-20
- The Major Challenge of Communicating Effectively on Noncommunicable Diseases 2019-05-20
- PAHO and Delegations from the Americas Participate in “Walk the Talk: the Health for All Challenge”, an Event Organized by WHO 2019-05-19
- Countries in the Americas region to co-organize side events during the 72nd World Health Assembly 2019-05-18
- Walk the Talk: The Health for All Challenge 2019 2019-05-16
- Implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
- Universal health coverage
- Public health emergencies: preparedness and response
- Promoting the health of refugees and migrants
- Health, environment and climate change
- Human resources for health
- Eleventh revision of the International Classification of Diseases
Live from WHA